Tuesday, November 09, 2010

I am a bad, bad blogger.

The good news is that I finally had a period. And yes, after 65 days, that is good news.

Friday I had my wisdom teeth out. I'm still swollen and on pain meds, but the teeth are out and as far as I know there are no dental procedures in the near future. Yay! My plan was to take pictures of my teeth and post them, but apparently they don't give you your teeth back if you're an adult. So, no disgusting picture of teeth for you. Sorry.

So I'm still in pain. The bottom teeth were impacted and those are the holes giving me the most trouble. And I miss solid food. I have been craving hamburger so badly, but I am terrified of having to pull it out of the holes where my teeth used to be. So, pudding and ice cream and ramen noodles it is. I miss protein.

And then there is possibly bad news.

I had my OB/GYN appointment yesterday. She 'tentatively' diagnosed me with PCOS. I'm a little unsure about how you 'tentatively' diagnose something, but it's still not sitting well with me. I haven't had time to process things yet.

Last year, before the wedding, I had my annual exam and asked her to do some bloodwork to see if she could find an explanation for my beard. At that point, she told me that there was a really good chance that I was just genetically inclined to be hairy. Okay, so that sucks, but I believe that (I can think of at least two great-great aunts who died with nearly full beards). She prescribed some low-estrogen birth control and spironolactone, which is an anti-androgen. Those of you who know me in real life have heard me refer to it as the 'don't grow a beard pill.' It worked. It was awesome. And then we started trying to have a baby. So I had to go back to daily plucking. Lucky me, right?

I have a friend with PCOS, so when I went in last year I was half-expecting the diagnosis because I have a lot of the symptoms. I sweat a lot. My skin is oily and prone to breakouts. My periods used to be ridiculously heavy and long (although they haven't been for the last year).

I suppose I should have been surprised last year when the bloodwork came back normal. Instead, I'm surpised now that she's 'tentatively' diagnosing me with PCOS. And I'm kind of upset that when I mentioned that I'd been charting, she brushed it off. Even when I told her that my charts showed clear thermal shifts and I was getting positive OPKs, she still said she thinks I'm not ovulating properly.

So I guess for now I'm still processing. But there is a plan in place. BoyWonder will be going in the next few weeks for his semen analysis. After that, we will deal with any sperm issues there may be (varicocele). Once all that is taken care of, I will begin bloodwork and pelvic ultrasounds, and she would like to start me on clomid this spring.

So I'm processing. I kind of want to give up. And at the same time, I'm having a hard time finding answers to my questions. Like, if I'm already ovulating, what the hell is clomid going to do? Anything?

Okay, so that's the main question. But still. I'm feeling a little deflated. Could just be the pain meds, but I don't think so. I guess we'll just see what happens. One step at a time.

1 comment:

carmenivy said...

Sorry you are going through all this crap...I met a lot of women on my online miscarriage support group who have taken Clomid and dealt with similar stuff, but I don't know much about it.

If your OB doesn't give you the answers you like, maybe you can go to someone else. Maybe a specialist or something. Good luck with everything, I will be thinking of you.