Thursday, August 05, 2010

And This Week in Hell...

I'll be telling you about my awful, awful week. Where should we start?

Oh, let's start with last week, actually. My birthday. Last Wednesday.

It started with BoyWonder not remembering to tell me happy birthday. I know I shouldn't care, but I do. So, not a great start to the day. My temp dropped an entire degree. So I knew what was coming... And she did. Because who doesn't want to start their period on their birthday, right?

So I kind of had a mini birthday meltdown, which seems to be a yearly occurrence. I tried to give myself a birthday card reading. It didn't make much sense to me. BoyWonder called me on his lunch break. I cried. And got off the phone. And cried some more. Then I decided to make cookies.

If you take nothing else from this post, at least take this recipe for my supremely awesome macaroons:

  • 15 oz. bag of coconut
  • 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
  • a handful(ish) each of craisins, walnuts, and chocolate chips

Smoosh all this together and drop onto a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 F for about twelve minutes (but watch them, because the coconut will go from golden to burnt in three seconds flat).

***I just remembered that I had to add a splash of egg white to this to help it all stick together. If you leave out the other goodies this isn't necessary.

So I made those. And my friend Nichole called. I hadn't talked to her in forever and a day, so we talked for over an hour before she decided she would leave her laundry at her mom's house and come visit me. It was nice, and made me realize how much I miss my old friends. It also made me forget about the birthday breakdown, which was a definite plus.

The rest of the day was pretty alright. BoyWonder brought me a blizzard when he came home from work, and then he took me out to dinner so I didn't have to cook.

So that was last week.

This week is the first week of the month. Those of you who have worked grocery retail know what I'm talking about. It's food stamp week. And every other type of government-issued money week. And no, I'm not bashing on people with food stamps. Well, not all of them. Just... well, about half. It's an exhausting week for me.

So I'm dealing with all kinds of people who want cash off their cards but don't know how much money is on them. And cashing eight billion social security checks.

And explaining to some teenager that no, it is not okay to forge your father's signature on a WIC check just because he sent you to the grocery store with them. If your name isn't on it, you can't use it. I get in trouble, and then you get in trouble, and then I get in trouble again. It's not a pleasant situation and I'd like to avoid that.

His father called back and complained about me. Ugh. Thankfully I was 100% right on this and management backed me.

This same day, we're having a three-day sale. Eggs are $0.79 IF you spend over $10. So I have to explain over and over and over that there is a minimum purchase to get the sale price. And this lady comes up and says she didn't realize that there was a minimum. Okay. So she brings up another dozen eggs and a paintbrush. So I refund the difference on the eggs she paid full price for (which comes to $1.50), and then ring up her other eggs at the sale price ($0.79) and the foam brush, which is also somewhere around $0.79. So she owes $0.20. And she says something along the lines of "So you owe me twenty cents?"

"No {and I explain what I did and why}"

"Oh, just forget it."

And, since I had seventy-eight people waiting in line behind her (or just seven, but it always feels like more than it is), I apologize for the trouble and tell her to have a nice day.

Ten minutes later one of the store managers is calling me asking what the hell happened, because this woman's supremely pissed off husband is on the phone wanting to know why I was so rude to his wife. So I explained it all again. And once again, management backed me.

And this bullshit has continued all week. I don't know if it's the heat, or what, but if I'd had to work today someone probably would have died, because I can't take one more person being so ridiculous.

What? Did you think we were done here? Nononono.

Someone stole BoyWonder's bike right off our porch.

It wasn't locked, but we live in a small town, in a decent enough neighborhood, and lots of people have bikes and other things on their porches, so we weren't worried.

So that's pretty upsetting. It's a blue 70's model Schwinn, so if you see it around town, please let us know, because BoyWonder is plotting all kinds of death scenarios if he sees it. He'd just put a new front wheel on it, and was working on restoring it (not that it needed much, but still).

Now BoyWonder's paranoia is no longer just paranoia. So all these years I've been telling him we don't need security cameras on every part of the house, he's pretty sure I've been wrong. He stayed up late last night looking into how to set up a webcam on our porch.

And he's getting new locks for the windows. And he wants a new front door, and a new door for the shed. And he wants a gun. Seriously, BoyWonder? I'm all for guns in theory, don't get me wrong. BUT I don't want one in my house. And if there were one in my house, it would be locked somewhere, unloaded, and so would serve no purpose as far as protecting us in the middle of the night. So no. We do not need any guns here. When we move to the country in a few years, maybe. But now? Absolutely not.

All in all, it's been stressful.

So today I'm going to pay for my college classes, and help BabyBrother get enrolled in his. I have a feeling I'm going to be bored. My stuff is only going to take a few minutes. I have a feeling for him it will take a couple of hours, because he has to apply to enroll, and then see an advisor, and then see the financial aid people, and then see accounts receivable. And then next week we have to go back for books. ugh. I'll be glad when he gets his financial aid money and gets a computer, and gets his truck running agian.

I love helping him, but it's wearing me out.

So, with that... I have to drive 40 miles to pick him up. ugh.

No comments: