Remember me talking about the snowpocalypse?
Yeah, well, it's kind of ruining my life right now. Okay. That might be a little melodramatic, but it's definitely mucking things up a bit.
I missed work yesterday. I probably could have made it in, but every school in the state was closed (or close to it), churches and businesses were closing, and we were still forecasted to get another six inches of snow. If it were just me, I probably would have risked it. But Sprout makes me feel a lot more... cautious, I guess, would be the right word. It's one thing to risk myself being thrown in the ditch or being in a car wreck. I've already been to hell and back waiting for this, and I'm not going to risk it.
BoyWonder was actually on board, so I took the snow day.
Fast forward to today. BoyWonder had gone out yesterday and cleared all the snow off my car, and shoveled around where I was parked. I gave myself lots of time to drive like a granny the entire way. But, when I went out to start my car, I pulled the handle, and the door only opened a crack. No big deal. The Barbie car is kind of crotchety in cold weather, and this happens. So I wedge my fingers in the little crack between the door and the body of the car, and pull. Door pops open. No. Big. Deal.
Until I get in and pull the door shut. And it won't latch. I fought with it for several minutes before I realized that the handle was all floppy, which means that something came undone inside the door.
So I go inside to tell BoyWonder. He's crabby right now, probably because he's the worrier in this house and is already panicking about getting everything ready for Sprout (he wants everything set up and the entire house babyproofed within the next two months. Hahaha).
He says to me "Can't you just hold the door closed while you drive?"
"So... You want me to hold the door closed, try to shift gears, and keep my car on the icy roads? That might work, if you've got an extra arm lying around. Plus, how do I keep my car from being stolen if the door won't even latch?"
So basically, I ruined BoyWonder's day.
See, when we bought this car, the handle was broken. The latch worked fine, but the outside door handle didn't work. He fixed it, but it involved many hours of him lying on the ground outside, cursing the Japanese and their tiny cars (and hands). It was unpleasant. And that was the middle of summer.
Also, we're not even sure if we can order a new set of hardware to fix it. Which means calling salvage yards, somehow removing parts from another car door while keeping all the parts intact, and then putting it on my car. In below-freezing, snowy-miserable weather.
What's really sad? He had tried to talk me into going vehicle shopping with him last weekend, and I talked him into waiting until closer to summertime. And now I'm kicking myself. And I'm sure he's mentally kicking me, too.
Did I mention my job doesn't give me any sick leave of any kind? And I'm not allowed to use vacation time for this? My check for this week will only have thirteen hours on it.
Fuck.
No comments:
Post a Comment