Monday, July 02, 2012

Because there just isn't enough going on...

I applied for a new job. Well, kind of.

It's the same company, but a part-time position at a different store, doing more of what I actually like (accounting/bookkeeping) and none of the supervising stuff (aside from supervising anyone doing bookkeeping).

I'm nervous because it means driving further and a cut in pay, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm miserable where I am, I hate being in charge, I have zero respect for my direct supervisor, and I need a change.

So the store I'm trying to move to is where my friend John transferred to. This is a large part of my decision to try to transfer there-- he's basically promised me I'll be working the same shift every day, because nobody else wants to do it. So while I'll still have to work weekends and holidays, I will at least have the same hours every day.

I feel like this is a step in the right direction. I won't have quite as much on my plate. I'll have a more laid-back store manager, and I'll have supervisors I respect and am not always covering for. Even if it does mean I have to wake up earlier, drive further, and make a little less money. I'll be happier, I think.


In other news, yesterday was my great-grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary. We had a huge party/family reunion and it was really, really nice. I'm not sure, but it looked like about 100 people showed up.

I got to spend some time with my sweet little Duckling, for the first time in over six weeks, too. He's huge now! And blonde. And adorable. I'm so, so proud of my brother. He's such a good daddy it's almost ridiculous.

Today is my only day off all week. BoyWonder wanted me to paint the front door (we never did get around to that), but we don't have all the stuff we need and honestly I kind of just want to relax. I mean, I'm cleaning the kitchen and making dinner tonight, but other than that... This is my only day off all week.

And we're getting a new roof soon, too. It's been a massive headache every step of the way. Partially because BoyWonder is back to his man-nesting (door-painting, ceiling painting, new roof...), but mostly because everything seems to hit us all at once. We just spent a ton of money on hail damage on BoyWonder's Fit because some genius (coughlainiecough) forgot to lower the deductible on the car insurance when we renewed the policy in February.

In the midst of dealing with his car, BoyWonder decided we had probably better have our homeowner's insurance company come look at our roof. And sure enough, we need a new one. The awesome part? Our homeowner's insurance SUCKS and won't pay for removal of shake, or new decking. Both requirements of having a new roof done. When the roofing company did our estimate, they told us that all insurance companies pay for this. And then they called us back the next day to tell us how crappy our insurance company's coverage is, and that if we want our roof done, we have to pay for shake removal and decking out of pocket.

Fuck.

Luckily, though, we chose a company with good customer service. They called us the next day (after the 'you'll have to shell out $4000' day) and told us they had gotten a great deal on shingles, which means that they can afford to cover the cost of the extra, even though it means their profit margin will be very small.

Of course, it remains to be seen what kind of shingles they got a good deal on. Because seriously, I do not want green or pink shingles. And, while the white ones are Energy Star rated, they're really, really ugly.

So, we shall see. I'm ready for it to be over. BoyWonder tends to obsess and fret over things from start to finish, so we have talked about nothing but home improvement projects for over two weeks now.

He makes me tired. Or maybe that's just the trigger shot (still in my system, I broke down and tested it today). But still.

No comments: