And lately? I'm pretending I'm not afraid of this surgery. I pretend that I believe I'm going to have this miraculous recovery and feel better than I have in a year. I pretend that I'm strong enough to survive this. I pretend that I believe that at the end of this long and horrible road, BoyWonder and I will have this beautiful, happy family and things will be amazing.
The truth? I'm not that nice. I hurt all the fucking time. There are ten people I can think of right now (more if you figure in customers at work) that I'd like to disappear from my life.
I'm terrified of this surgery. There's a part of me that really doesn't believe I'll be okay. I don't even know if I care about having kids anymore. I don't feel beautiful or amazing, and I can't even imagine myself being able to instill that in my children.
Side-confession: I really hope that this last one was the pain and exhaustion talking. There is an eternal optimist locked inside me... But when I never started feeling better, I seem to have gagged her and stuffed her in a trunk somewhere in my soul.
I hope they free her next week.
**note: I didn't really mean to publish this. It was going to be a much bigger confessional. I'm a little embarrassed that it ended up this way, because the other parts were much less depressing. Oh well.
2 comments:
I know this doesn't help much, but I am thinking of you.
Hoping you look back on this time in your life in five years and think, "Thank God that's over." Because you deserve to be happy.
Thanks, Carmen. I'm really hoping that this surgery fixes my back, and doesn't bankrupt us. I think I can handle just about anything else. Just not being like this forever, or losing everything because of it.
Post a Comment