Day Two: A picture of yourself and the person you've been close with for the longest.

This is my best friend Jen. We met at the public swimming pool in Lafayette, Colorado when I was eight. Her older brother was picking on my younger brothers and somehow we ended up being friends. Even though I was only in Colorado for the summer, somehow we managed to keep up a long-distance friendship for several years.
Then, my father moved.
And she moved.
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure we lost track of each other for about four years. I couldn't find her. I don't even know if she was looking for me. My father and stepmother helped me slog through all kinds of internet searches, to no avail. Finally, we drove the long drive from Longmont to Pueblo where her grandmother lived. I thought I remembered the address, but I didn't. I had the street name right, though, and eventually we came to a house that I recognized only because it had an awesome wrought-iron storm door.
My father was too self-conscious of a person to let me knock on the door. But we wrote down the address and made the long drive home. I wrote a letter and sent it to that house. Less than a week later, she called me.
We kept in touch off and on for a few years after that, and then when we both graduated and started college we lost touch again.
This time it was MySpace that brought us together. She found me this time around.
So not only are we amazing detective girls who always find their way back together, we also have freakishly similar lives.
We're a year and two days apart. We took up smoking the same year (even 500 miles away from each other). We read the same books without knowing it. Even though we haven't seen each other in person in almost ten years, we can still finish each other's sentences. Occasionally I'll call her and find that we're making the same thing for dinner. Both times she's been pregnant, I knew before she told me (just one of those feelings). She named her youngest daughter after me.
She is the closest thing I have to a sister. I can go months without talking to her, and always know that when we talk, it'll feel like it's only been hours since last time. She is my sounding board, my kindred spirit, my unending support when I need it, and I make sure that I'm everything she needs, too.
I'll stop with all the sentimental drivel for now... But on a side note... See that picture? We made sure we had the house numbers in the shot so I'd remember that address.
Hahaha.
No comments:
Post a Comment