Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Seeking Balance

It's been over a month since my last blog. I'm a little ashamed of myself. I can do better. I wanted to do better. At least this time it's not day-to-day life holding me back. Since my last post, BoyWonder and I set a date for our wedding. A very, very close date. August 8, 2009. I'm in the mad scramble to get things ready in my very limited, very unpredictable time off.

Last week, we bought The Dress. It's beautiful and nothing like the simple sundress I thought I wanted at first. Okay. Let me clarify that. It's the basic shape I wanted from the get-go. But it's a strapless, with gold (Yes, gold, which is also unlike me) embroidery, a satiny sash around the waist (it's attached, and does not tie), and lots and lots of tulle. But it doesn't drag on the ground. There isn't a lot of frou-frou beading on it, no train... I did let them talk me into a veil. And the adorable little embellished semi-flip-flops with the short heel on them.

The dress was the easy part, though. Right now I'm supposed to be working on invitations, and this is a whole new world to me. I never realized, until Sunday, that the wording on wedding invitations is like its own secret code. Who paid, who didn't, which names come first and why... I'm ignoring all of it. The really baffling part is this: the template for the print-your-own invitations I got shows all the information together, on one page of the invite. So what goes on the rest of it? Should I put just the 'Lainie and BoyWonder invite you to share the joy...' part on the front, and then the location and time on the inside? Should I put all the formalities on the inside and maybe some song lyrics or a poem on the front? Should I put a few lines of poetry on the back, just because it makes me happy?

This is what I'm talking about. Well, this and the ten million other details. I'm trying to find wording that is informal and somehow more our style. I'm trying to think of inexpensive ways to seat everyone, to find tables. Still working on what the hell to do if it rains. I have yet to talk to the preacher who will marry us, and I haven't figured out what to do about my best friend who keeps falling out of touch with me... (she doesn't know I'm getting married, even).


In all the wedding chaos, the garden is going surprisingly well... Really, once I mulched everything well with hay, I haven't had to do much aside from watering. The carbons and the black krims are going insane, and the carbons actually have several blooms. The pumpkins are blooming, also, and I've got squash and melons and cukes that finally decided to sprout. The peas are finishing up, and I'm thinking that at the end of this week I'll pull them and take the vines to the compost pile (they're full of nitrogen, you know).

So maybe I don't need balance. Maybe I just need a few more people to take the wedding weight off my shoulders. I'm working on it slowly, but soon there will be no time for 'slowly.' Even now, I'm pushing it.

So, for now, I have to scribble more ideas in my notebook and gather things for my networking trip today...

No comments: