Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Roundup

Honestly, I don't have much to show off today. I have been out and about, and I ran my yarn stash down low enough that I couldn't do much except keep making the same baby hats over and over and over again.

So this week, I spent hours and hours browsing Etsy and Ravelry for patterns and ideas. The tough part of finding patterns is finding one that allows you to sell finished products. I haven't sold anything yet, but I don't want to get into any trouble if I actually do finally make a sale.

I found lots of really cool things I'm going to be working on for the next several weeks, but for now, this is what I did when I should have been cleaning:


I've got to tell you, I'm really, really proud of myself today. Michael's was having an amazing sale, and I had a coupon for 25% off my entire purchase.

The score?

20 balls of Vanna's Choice. Originally $3.79 each--I paid $1.99 (before the coupon).
1 pound skein of Caron. Originally $8.99, I paid $6.99.
2 balls of Charisma (I forget the full brand name, I think Loops & Threads). I think the original price was $4.79, I paid $2.29
1 ball of RedHeart (I know, it's crappy, but this was squishy-soft bulky yarn), originally $4.99, I paid $3.49
1 skein of some off brand of cheapy variegated yarn (the camouflage-ish one down in the corner). Originally $2.99, I paid $2.29.
I also grabbed some plastic mesh to use as reinforcement for hats with stiff brims, and two different types of pom-pom makers, since my attempt to do them DIY was... Messy? And probably not very stable if it gets washed very many times.

Full price: $112.63, before sale prices and my coupon. I ended up paying $54.09 total.

I kind of wish I'd grabbed more, but I went in there intending to spend around fifty dollars and that's what I did.

Now, I'm wondering why in the hell I never remember to check sale ads. Or coupons, for that matter. I mean, I know they don't usually have all their yarn on sale like they did today, but jeez. That's a pretty ridiculous haul for fifty dollars.

The plan for right now is to start making earflap hats in all different sizes and a few different colors, so I can add mohawks to them as I go (and as I find good, cheap-o yarn to use on the mohawk part). A lot of them are going to be Christmas gifts for my family, and whatever I have left over will be either posted on facebook or (gasp!) I'm considering opening a shop on Etsy once I have enough things completed.

Also, I've had two different people offer to pay me to make this baby turtle cape that keeps popping up on Pinterest. I bought the pattern, but it's easy enough I might be able to wing it. So, I'm going to definitely be trying to make them, once I get some hats out of the way. One girl isn't due until early February, and the other is due in April, so I've got time.

I know I won't be able to depend on constant money, but it would be a really nice bonus. And it gives me something to do when I'm watching TV. Or bored, on my lunch break.


So, I think that's it for this week, folks! Now that I've got yarn again, I'll probably be back next week with some actual finished products!

2 comments:

Jenn0021 said...

Jealous of all that wool! I want awesome deals like that.

Maddie said...

There's some crazy amazing stuff you could make! I just ordered this monster hat for $25 and it was on sale so I'm sure she normally sells it for more... but I know it didn't cost her that much to make it. I'll take pictures and send it to you!