I should probably start with Halloween. I don't know if I've ever talked about this, but BoyWonder and I are kind of Halloween nerds. We own more Halloween decorations than any other holiday (even Christmas, but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that because I work retail, I'm not a huge fan of Christmas). I actually never stop looking for cool templates for jack o'lanterns.
Last year (or maybe it was the year before that), we discovered this really awesome neighborhood in Wichita that goes all-out for Halloween. I'm talking about building giant pirate ships in their front yards, huge animatronic spiders, really awesome ghosts that float around on semi-invisible cables... It's awesome. And at the very end of this neighborhood is this one house I love more than all the others. It's the simplest idea, not gory or scary and it will never ever ever be tacky or out of style.
Their entire side-yard is full of pumpkins. All carved. I haven't ever stopped long enough to actually count them, but I'm guessing they probably have over fifty (and they might actually have a hundred of them). We tried it last year with store-bought carved pumpkins (you know, they're kind of cheesy and you find them all over the place) and we carved a bunch of real pumpkins. BoyWonder actually built a pumpkin man that was pretty cool, too. But last year, ants invaded my pumpkins and by Halloween they were really, really sad looking.
Halloween 2011
So, that was last year's decor. This year, we didn't do the lights on the porch, and BoyWonder didn't like the rope lights on the grass (but I did), so we didn't do them this year (they'll be back next year, though).
So, anyway, we discovered Funkins. They're carvable foam, and they look real, even if you get close to them. Right after Halloween last year, I snatched three of them up on clearance, and I got some other ones from Michaels. We also put all of them into one flower bed this year, just because they look better when they're bunched up together. So... This was our display this year.
And yes, we did some clearance shopping again this year. So far, BoyWonder grabbed three that were already done (Target clearance, FTW), and he also found some cheapy foam ones there, too. We also grabbed three more Funkins, and I think I'm going to go back for more when I get paid on Thursday.
Right now, we're up to 23 pumpkins for next year.
What else have I been up to? Well, I've been stuck on my couch for the last week while recovering from surgery. I'm sure you've probably figured out by now that I've got some ADHD issues and can't just sit around watching TV. So, I watch TV and crochet. And crochet. And crochet. So, without further ado, I give you crochet madness:
So, this is what I've been calling the Monster Blanket. Not because it has monsters on it, but because it is enormous. I originally meant to make it big enough to be a throw blanket, but the 'pattern' said to make the beginning chain about 1.5 times the size of the intended size. It lied. I actually had to stop the foundation row when I realized how long it was going to be.
I'm out of yarn for this, for now. I'm also trying to decide if I want to go ahead and make it queen-size, or if I want to make it wide enough to cover myself up and call it good. It's basically a matter of time and money--just what I have here is ten balls of yarn, and if I decide to go queen-size, I'll have to buy at least twenty more balls. That's insane. Insane, I tell you.
Hats! The camo one is for a friend of BoyWonder--and it's actually reversible. The inside is plain black, and when you put it on, it's so thick it looks like an army helmet or something (but he wants it for when he goes hunting, so at least it'll be warm). The pink and white elf hat is for a girl I used to babysit whose baby is due in February (insert sad-for-me face here), and the others are for godBaby. I actually made several other baby hats that I already donated to the NICU, but didn't take pictures of them first.
This is one square I made with leftover yarn from the Monster Blanket. I actually chose the yarn for it because the entire line of yarn is supposed to work well together, so it's been my yarn of choice for a lot of different projects--that way, I can make a ton of squares and someday, I'll have a blanket of all different colors and styles of squares.
And this, I made for godBaby. I'm not exactly sure, but it looks like it'll be a good size to fit over him in his carseat. It's also really squishy-soft and warm. (And the colors are prettier in person.)
And the last thing on the roundup... Today, I made some sinus oil. I know, it sounds gross and I need to work on the name. But sinus oil really covers it. I use this if I'm stopped up, or if I think I've got a sinus infection. And, seriously, it will clear up a sinus infection, which keeps you from having to take antibiotics that will tear up your stomach or give you a yeast infection, or any other lovely side effects.
That's it. Rosemary, peppermint, and thyme. You can put five drops in a steam inhalation, or mix it with a carrier oil and use it like Vicks, or you can put some drops in a hot shower. Oh, and if you're on the go, you can drop some on a cotton ball and keep it in a pill bottle. I promise, it'll clear you right out. And then, you'll feel better.
That's my roundup. Like I said, I might try to make this a weekly event... But you know how that goes. I'm not good with regular posting.
But for now... I think I was supposed to clean the fridge out today. I should probably do that.

1 comment:
Wow you have been busy! I love it all! I'm also super amazed at your pumpkin display and can't wait to see how fabulous next years will be. You're making our one pumpkin look sad. :P
And WOW to your crocheting! I love all the stuff you got done and am in love with your monster blanket colours. So so nice.
We should definitely be BFFs now. :)
Post a Comment