Wednesday, June 27, 2012

And Now, We Wait

First of all, I'd like to reiterate how many odd situations you can find yourself in while dealing with infertility.

BoyWonder had to leave work yesterday to produce his sample. And there really wasn't a good explanation to give his supervisors, other than that he had to 'sign some papers.' You can't really tell people you need to leave work to masturbate. Well, I suppose you could, but I have a feeling that would be frowned upon.

So I get the sample, and I have less than thirty minutes to get to the clinic. And sperm needs to be kept as close to body-temperature as possible, so I drive the entire way (speeding, to make it within the thirty minute window) with the cup of WonderSperm between my legs. Giggling half of the time at how ridiculous this would look if I were to be pulled over. "Sorry, officer, but I'm trying to get this sperm to the lab so a nurse can try to impregnate me in an hour." Hahaha.

Although I suppose that was probably the most awkward part of the day.

The lab almost didn't take the sample because BoyWonder and I missed the part of the form that asked for his drivers license number. Thankfully, they took mine instead. Which is good, because I can't imagine how I would have reacted to something like that.

And then I waited. Forever, it felt like. I didn't have anything to do in the hour it takes to wash the sperm, so I sat in the waiting room and read my kindle.

I finally get called back, and it's the same room I've been in almost every time I have an ultrasound. The procedure itself wasn't horrible, but it did make me feel super crampy for the rest of the day, although I'm not actually sure if it's from the IUI or if it was because my ovaries were angry about having to hatch out their goodies. And lots of spotting yesterday, which is normal when you've had a catheter run through your cervix.

Also, BoyWonder's numbers were pretty awesome, considering how hot it is where he works. I really thought it would be low, but pre-wash was 4 mL at 19 million/mL with 51% motility. Post-wash was 17 million total with 64% motility. (I did some math and I think that means about 12 million of them were motile).

I don't know how that compares with anything. Probably not that many make it to the uterus during sex, but then I know that women can have an IUI done where there are eighty million motile sperm, and they still don't get pregnant.

And I'm probably going to drive myself insane waiting two weeks to test. I've already been searching charts with all kinds of similarities, trying to get a feel for what kind of success rates we're looking at. When I plug in all the factors that match our situation, about 40% of the charts result in pregnancy.

I'm comfortable with those odds, but I also know that the actual success rate the clinic gave me is, on average, about 20%. Still better than our odds without medical intervention.

I'm trying to think positive. I hope this works. Please, please, please let this work.

1 comment:

carmenivy said...

You know you have my prayers and good thoughts.